A three-year-old child died after being bitten by a snake in a village on the outskirts of Jaipur on Thursday. The snake also bit two of the child’s siblings, who have been hospitalised.

According to the police, the incident took place around 10.30 pm on Wednesday when Mangilal Saini and his family was sleeping at their house in Ratanpura Bawri village near Toonga. “The three children were sleeping in the same room. Saini woke up after he heard his six-year-old daughter scream. Following that he saw her throwing away a snake that was in the room and noticed that all three of the kids had been bitten,” said constable Mahendra Singh of Toonga police station.

The police said that the snake was killed by the family members.

“According to information, their three-year-old son was taken to a local witchdoctor. Later, his condition deteriorated and he died early on Thursday morning,” said Singh.

The police said that the other two children — a girl aged six and an 18-month-old infant son — were taken to the JK Lone Hospital in Jaipur.

“By the time the police got information, the body of the child, along with the snake, had already been cremated. So far no case has been registered,” said Singh.

Doctors at the hospital said that the condition of the infant is critical.

“The girl is stable but the 18-month-old child is critical and has been kept in the ICU. We had to administer CPR twice since morning,” said Ashok Gupta, superintendent, JK Lone Hospital.

He added that anti-venom medicines are being administered to the children to treat them.