US President Donald Trump on Tuesday sacked Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replaced him with Mike Pompeo, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Tillerson's departure represents the biggest staff change in the Trump Cabinet so far, and caps months of tensions between the president and the 65-year-old former Exxon Mobil chief executive.
A senior White House official said, Trump asked Tillerson to step down on Friday but did want not to announce it while he was on a trip to Africa.
Here are 10 things you should know about Rex Tillerson and Mike Pompeo:
Rex Wayne Tillerson
1. Rex Tillerson served as the 69th US Secretary of State from February 2017 to March 2018, under President Donald Trump.
2. He worked for four decades at Exxon. When he joined in 1975, he was a production engineer. He became the company's chairman and chief executive officer in 2006.
3. He has a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering from the University of Texas at Austin.
4. Tillerson has been a member of several institutes and councils, such as the American Petroleum Institute and the National Petroleum Council.
5. He was born in 1952 in Wichita Falls, Texas. He is married to Renda St. Clair. They have three children.
1. Mike Pompeo has served as CIA director since January 2017.
2. Before his CIA job, he was a four-time Congressman (a lawmaker in America's national legislature).
3. Before his stint in the US Congress, he was the chief executive of Thayer Aerospace and the president of an oil firm.
4. Pompeo's academic credentials are impressive. He was first in his class at the US Military Academy and got a law degree at Harvard. Like former US President Barack Obama, he served as the editor of the Harvard Law Review.
5. Born in 1963, Pompeo is married and has a son.
(Inputs from Reuters; Source of information about Tillerson, Pompeo: www.state.gov, www.cia.gov)